Here are the websites which presents cool information if you want to speed up your wordpress powered website.These are nothing that is new or like rocket science,I found them quite simple and useful. I have bookmarked all these pages as I use them often for my site(and also because I keep forgetting from where did I copy paste the codes to tweak my site).
1) Removing unnecessary php and database calls that affects the page loading time.
2) Compress the file components on your site by gzip.An excellent compressor and multi-utility plugin is recommended here(though the plugin is not free)
3) Add expire header to images/js/css files(can be done by editing the htaccess file in your webhost root folder i.e. public_html folder) and add dimensions to the images.The returning visitors will find it useful as their browser will record the expiry date of the files and will load them from their cache unless the expiry date is being reached.
5) Install plugins or htaccess codes that caches wordpress.I use the wp-super cache and Smart Optimizer which does a wonderful job in reducing the page loading time.It is absolutely recommended for busy sites which receives heavy footfalls.
6) Use a subdomain to store the media files and so that parallel downloading from your subdomain loads your page faster.If you have a website that has a lot of flash,videos or image file, then try compressing the files any utility mentioned in some of the links I mentioned above.This is well explained here (but the database code didn’t work for me,I had to update the media links manually )-
8 ) Cut down on Wordpress plugins.Minimize wordpress plugins or modify the header and footer so that the footer calls the plugin functions instead of the wordpress header.This will reduce page load time again.See it in details here-
10) Use tools to determine the page loading speed.It is important to know how fast your page loads in different internet connections.The page loading time for a 56k modem will be much much slower than a cable or T1 connection.This site refers some good benchmarking and other standards-
There are many tips and tricks that will speed up wordpress and they are more or less covered by all the site links I mentioned above.I hope it will help people who are not very conversant with coding and programming.But a little familiarity with coding will make things easier for you to understand and implement them.