Arevan Reviews

Stuck in the game? Need maps or walkthrough? Want to discuss about the game? Need the latest bug-fixed game patches? This is the place where you do it. Please post all questions pertaining to Arevan here and not in other forums.

Moderator: over_cloud9

Forum rules
If you are stuck in the game and cannot find a solution, create a new topic stating your problem.

Rate the Game

1 (Horrible)
4%
4%
8%
27%
5 (Wow!)
58%

Total votes : 26

Arevan Reviews

Postby over_cloud9 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Hiya Friends!

I shall be updating this post frequently as and when I spot a review on Arevan. Also if you find any review, you can bring it to our notice by posting here.

We got our first review from my homeland- IVG (Here's what their rating means)-
http://www.indianvideogamer.com/2010/10 ... #more-4823

This topic is specifically created to get to know how you felt playing the game. Leave your ratings(vote it above) and tell us how you liked it. I would love get your comprehensive feedback on-

a) General game play
b) Story
c) Special features you liked or never seen in any other RPG
d) Graphics
e) Music
f) Anything else that caught your attention or you liked very much XD

Your valuable feedback will encourage us make better games in near future. :tu:
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arevan Reviews

Postby Angel_Wings » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

In short, I enjoyed Arevan. One aspect that I liked a lot was the freedom of choice and how, depending on the choices that the player makes, it can determine the direction that the game goes. I haven't played a lot of RPGs that allow for this freedom so this is a nice aspect.

Also, I like the use of the skill pills as opposed to playable characters leveling up to gain new skills. Again, it leads to more freedom to choose which PCs to have which skills. I've found that there is some strategy needed to distribute skills well.

Of course, the most important aspect for me for any RPG or any game in general is a good storyline, which this one has. I liked that the more I got into the game, the more interested I became. ^^

O_O I voted in the wrong area. I wanted to vote it higher. Is there any way I can change it?
Angel_Wings
Nimbostratus Cloud
Nimbostratus Cloud

Postby over_cloud9 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:11 pm

LOL, you can't if your vote is cast. :ril: But glad that you enjoyed it!
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aggeliki » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Congrats Over_cloud!! You did a really nice work with your game :prft:

a) General game play: i enjoyed it, it was relaxing,fortunately no random encounters
b) Story: The story is getting more and more interesting as time passes and it is very touching, it has enough funny moments, the characters are great, the side quests are very intriguing and not insanely difficult(though i missed Harry cause of a wrong answer XD )
c) Special features you liked or never seen in any other RPG:
The whale :prft:
The griffin :prft:
Juleka's and Kromon's sprites :prft: ( how did you manage to add long hair to kromon and a wheel chair to juleka? :o :) )
The battle menu: :prft: ( and the option to repeat the boss battles)
The football match, the quizzes :prft:
The pyramide's frescos and the mummies :prft:
d) Graphics: artistically they are very good but i am not very fond of this style :bl: :sorry: And..well, the mapping is kind of "minimal"..i would prefer more detailed and lively mapping :sorry:

I also liked the music and i loved the help option and the skill-pill feature!
Well, have you got any plans for your next game? ;) :bravo:
Aggeliki
Stratocumulus Cloud
Stratocumulus Cloud

Postby over_cloud9 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Hehe thanks. Next game...ummm...have to wait unless I come up with a deep story and complicated characters.

Juleka and Kromon's sprite were a bit difficult to make, esp Juleka. Did them with photoshop. XD

and the option to repeat the boss battles
Repeat boss battles :o ? or skipping them? :scratch:

Mapping- You mean the outdoor mapping? yeah I need to improve a lot! Next time I shall hand over the entire mapping stuff to Rifle100 as she is more detail oriented than me. XD
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aggeliki » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 am

about the mapping..i am not familiar with making a game but the mapping in VX games is more "minimal" than XP ones..i prefer games that are made with XP maker because of the more detailed background, you know what i mean?
anyway i gave arevan a 4 cause i really enjoyed it :prft:
Aggeliki
Stratocumulus Cloud
Stratocumulus Cloud

Postby Teddybear » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:49 am

Great game Overcloud9! I really enjoyed playing it and following the storyline.

I wasn't crazy about the music, but it was easy enough to turn my speakers down. I don't always listen to the music anyway.
One of my favorite parts were the puzzles. They weren't overly difficult but made me think.
I liked the skill pills once I got the hang of who should have what.
Having the whale and griffin to get around really helped a lot also.
I wish the game had been a little bit longer, but I guess I can always replay it a time or two.

All in all, I loved the game and will be waiting for the next one.
Teddybear
Vapour
Vapour

Postby Alikamou » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:08 am

Awww...everyone else said it all! XD It is a great game to play, with the characters being very different in strengths and personalities. They all drew me into the storyline and I began trying to piece the clues together myself :ril: Believe it or not...I got it half right, too :yay:

Specialty item such as the skill pills were so much fun XD I gave it to everybody..well only a couple had to be specific, but the rest...they all got to share. The mana, power and speed pills attainable through certain dungeons was a brilliant idea I used to the max. I was able to transform some pc skills because of them

Surprises...the griffon and the whale were wonderful surprises to encounter and use! and once attained, I could use any of them at a moment's notice...depending on whether I wanted to stretch the gaming out or not :bl: It took me nearly 30 hrs to play :ril: I went for the levelling up route because I got a surprise ending before I was ready XD That teaches me that curiosity can get me into a whole heap of trouble before I'm ready :ril: So the chance to repeat the boss fight or not? surprised me again XD Thank goodness for the tons of previous saves!!!!! Thank you for that! Now I can go back and experiment with Zubin the second XD just to see what he can do in that state :game:

So if you plan on doing another prequell or sequell....I'll be waiting 8) Great job :comp:
Alikamou
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Alika. Surprise is gonna be my chief element in any game I make in near future XD
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oceanloverOH » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:02 am

Loved the game, OC9! Great story, excellent balance between fighting and puzzles....and I LOVED the fact that I never felt the need to grind, there was always enough money, and NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS! I do have a few constructive criticisms, though.

1) When I first started fighting the Transformer, it was quite early in the game, Maurean was alone and there was no way I could win. When Maurean died, the game asked me if I wanted to try again and I said no, thinking to come back when Maurean was stronger or there were more members in the party. The Transformer disappeared, and never came back....therefore I was not able to complete the Boss quest (but I didn't realize it at the time). There should be some way to let the player know that saying no means this quest is no longer viable....if I thought I was not going to be able to complete the Boss quest, then I would have gone back to an earlier save and waited to fight the Transformer a bit later. By the time I understood this, I was too far into the game to start over.

2) I evidently said the wrong thing to Harry Potter and he refused to come with me....I had all the other inmates with me but I was not able to complete that quest because Harry disappeared. Maybe it should be that he reappears somewhere else and you get another shot at it? Or you should be prompted to save the game before speaking to Harry after retrieving Scabbers.

3) The game ended before I expected it to. I was just looking for the platinum coin in the Icicle Castle so I could complete the coin quest, and had no idea that the game would end so abruptly. I had saved several quests to accomplish when I got close to the end game, but there was no final boss, no chance to say, no, I'm not done with the game yet and I'll come back to this point later. Again, the player should be prompted to save the game before stepping on that final transporter, in case there is still unfinished business that the player wants to complete. As a result, I was not able to complete several quests (coin quest, impenetrable armor quest, and a few more).

4) I did all the right things to get Maurean and Nandini together, but she walked out at the end anyway.

Still a great game......but maybe some things to think about for the next OC9 installment!
oceanloverOH
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Next

Return to Game Help, Hints, Maps, Walkthrough and Bug-fixed patches