Arevan Reviews

Stuck in the game? Need maps or walkthrough? Want to discuss about the game? Need the latest bug-fixed game patches? This is the place where you do it. Please post all questions pertaining to Arevan here and not in other forums.

Moderator: over_cloud9

Forum rules
If you are stuck in the game and cannot find a solution, create a new topic stating your problem.

Rate the Game

1 (Horrible)
4%
4%
8%
27%
5 (Wow!)
58%

Total votes : 26

Re: Arevan Reviews

Postby over_cloud9 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Ah thanks a lot oceanlover, they were comprehensive :heart: . To answer some of your questions-

1) Transformer- actually you were supposed to fight it with Pascal. And the option of skipping the battle was for those who wanted to continue the game without fighting. Of course not being able to fight a boss called for a penalty- to be not be able to fight it again anymore unless you restarted XD

2) Harry Potter- He is a clever guy, won't give you any second chance. XD But I think I should discuss the answers in the Game Faq and major spoilers section so that you can get it right this time.

3) Umm...about the game ending... I think I should implement a save when you are about to get teleported. That is a good suggestion actually. :tu: Let me see when I can come up with an updated version.

4) Sorry about the Maurean and Nandini part, it was a bug which happened to be fixed in ver 1.9. Can you get the latest version when you are replaying it?

Next installment- I was thinking of continuing the Arevan legacy, but then Rifle100 told me she had another story to work with. So a bit on a hold thinking which one I should do first... XD
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby over_cloud9 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 am

Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D-Squall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 am

Arevan reached RPGFan, but the review isn't saying some good things. No Fair IMO.
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us." - Squall, FFVIII!
D-Squall
Nimbostratus Cloud
Nimbostratus Cloud

Postby over_cloud9 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 am

I know. I tried to create a good game using mainly stock tiles and some stock music, because I concentrated mainly on a good story and make the game fun and enjoyable. But the author didn't seem impressed with it.

I didn't take his reviews seriously, honestly speaking, because he didn't bother to complete the game. So without playing the game completely, how can he rate the story of the game? Also that means he left out on the other music used in other parts of the game, which again makes his music rating incomplete. It means the overall rating is incomplete or not right. He just marked it based on first impressions. And my use of the stock tiles didn't impress him. I respect constructive criticism as I get to learn many things from it and make better games, but in this case, I didn't find anything valuable as he is mostly ranting of how I could have done things like other developers instead of appreciating the things which ARE NOT found in the other developer games like skill pills, the football puzzles, ability to skip boss fights (which is designed specifically so that players who don't like fighting or cannot kill the bosses to proceed with the story leave the game unplayed)etc.

I'd prefer getting an honest review from a player who has completed the game than people who expect the same thing from all developers to suit his taste.
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D-Squall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah, it's like... he's whining because your game is not like the others. I think that this someone doesn't like different things and some inovations.
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us." - Squall, FFVIII!
D-Squall
Nimbostratus Cloud
Nimbostratus Cloud

Postby Aggeliki » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm

My dear Mumita your imagination is way too lively and vivid to be under a critic's microscope...i am sure your next game will be a great success..i am a big fun of your approach in game story and i am looking forward to seeing whats next :kiss:
Aggeliki
Stratocumulus Cloud
Stratocumulus Cloud

Postby crcdcc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 pm

a) General game play- I love it, I HATE random monster encounters so that was a big plus for me. Most go overboard with random encounters so being able to skirt by the little fairy monsters was a plus.
b) Story- My absolute favorite part of this game.....I hate games where it has a sappy happily ever after ending, this one was more realistic and I was happy to see that. The only thing I didn't like was how eager the King and son were to forgive the mother for all her wrongdoings.....it's a game I know, but the reconciliation was totally one sided.
c) Special features you liked or never seen in any other RPG- this is the first RPG that I've played on the computer that had the "auto" battle feature, I liked it except for the characters didn't seem to hone in on the monsters weaknesses and attack based on that....and they didn't heal a lot either. And being able to skip the boss fights....LOVE that, just sucks that you don't get their goodies and can't come back to fight them later....I found that out the hard way lol. Skill pills= BEST IDEA EVER!!!! I like being able to skill my players as I see fit because once you get more than 4 in your party, the debate over "should I keep in the healer, the mage, or the tough guy" sucks, and this way all of my people can be equally skilled with magic and I still get to keep the tough guys in there.
d) Graphics- These were pretty good, there were some places such as the swamp town (not good with names) where it was hard for me to get around because the graphics were a bit choppy....but other than that it was good.
e) Music- I love cheesy RPG music, you won't get a bad comment out of me even if the whole game sucked as long as you have cheesy RPG music :ril:
f) Anything else that caught your attention or you liked very much

I really liked this game, one of the things I'm a stickler about when it comes to RPG's is the storyline, I want to be so caught up in the story that the battles and sidequests in between are an annoyance because they hinder the story progression....kind of like "c'mon I wanna see what happens next!" feeling. It was nice to be able to do a "story mode" where you can skip through bosses and see the outcome anyway. This makes it nice for people like me that want to see the story first and then go back and complete it 100% later. There are games I play where instead of playing it a second time through, I go read the forums and see what happens because it was such a pain to play it the first time and level up and find everything. The puzzles weren't so challenging that I beat my head on the wall and I liked that you could skip them with a penalty. I think that with a little more tweaking this could be a new favorite for me, I'd really love to see a sequel to this, and sadly I'm already imagining what the story line for it would be. So yes thumbs up from me, cause I'm a picky RPG player and this is one of the better games I've seen out there. :tu:
crcdcc
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Wow, that was really comprehensive. :prft: Thank you, I'll keep your suggestions in my mind for the sequel. :)
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anna maria » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 am

hi everybody i just finished the game and i really enjoyed it did all quests and thanks goes to liza and overcloud 9 for helping me with some of them its was agreat. it was really sad of what the queen and juleka went thru and having maurean find out about his mother but he stood proud and didnt hate the queen of what she did thats why i liked him alot great game i cant wait to play part 2
anna maria
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks Anna Maria. Friends, your reviews are noted and I shall keep them in my mind when creating the next game. :) btw probably I will create a different game before going for Arevan's sequel for some more experimental and unique ideas. Doing a game in the old way like others have done it before is a serious turn off for me. I like experimenting and coming up with new ideas (like I did for skill pills, whale, football, etc in Arevan) and will try to do something innovative again in my next game. So unless I come up with something better, you need to wait... XD

And you don't need to keep your save files from Arevan to play it's sequel as the sequel, though featuring characters from Arevan, will have a story of it's own.
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Game Help, Hints, Maps, Walkthrough and Bug-fixed patches