Arevan Reviews

Stuck in the game? Need maps or walkthrough? Want to discuss about the game? Need the latest bug-fixed game patches? This is the place where you do it. Please post all questions pertaining to Arevan here and not in other forums.

Moderator: over_cloud9

Forum rules
If you are stuck in the game and cannot find a solution, create a new topic stating your problem.

Rate the Game

1 (Horrible)
4%
4%
8%
27%
5 (Wow!)
58%

Total votes : 26

Re: Arevan Reviews

Postby synthesis » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 am

I just finished the game yesterday, and enjoyed it immensely!

Things I really loved and felt were quite unique:
1) The wide variety of transportation methods, especially the runes, which were available from the beginning. One of the things I hate is continually backtracking through places to get from point a to point b. And, as others have mentioned, there were very unique modes of travel like the wale and griffin.

2) The skill pill system. As others have mentioned, this system was extremely unique and I loved it.

3) The monster visibility. I hate invisible monsters because it seems like you take a few steps, have to battle, take a few steps. . . bleh. It just gets very old, but that wasn't a problem in this game.

4) Loved the auto battle. Sometimes, especially when battling lower level things, I just get sick of going through the fight option for each character, so the auto battle was great.

5) I really enjoyed the pop culture references!

6) The puzzles. I loved the fact that the puzzles were not so difficult that I wanted to tear my hear out! I don't mind puzzles in rpgs, but I usually am more interested in the story, so I hate it when I have to keep retrying puzzles before I can progress (the same goes for grinding for hours just to get a little snippet of story!).

Things I felt could have been tweaked a tiny bit
1) The maps and villages/places to visit were a little sparse. But, that could just be me, personally, because part of what I enjoy so much is exploring and also the conversations with other characters, which both seemed a bit more limited

2) The story itself was a little sparse, at times. It felt like there was a lot of backstory missing and that characters could have been fleshed out a bit more. Also, I would have liked more character and npc interaction. Instead, it often felt like one characters was "telling" everything, rather than finding out things through character interaction.

3) I liked the "twists." I know some people hated the fact that if you chose the wrong option, Harry Potter disappeared (I also accidentally killed off Loyola (I think that was her name) and couldn't go back and get her. I think you should include more of this type of scenario in future games--the option a, b, or c, which leads to different outcomes. I like the surprises, and also it leads to more replayability.

4) I think you could also make a lot of the skill pills, at least the higher level ones, more limited. I know there were a few like that, but overall, I just kept giving everybody all of them. Yes, I know Maureen had no MP, but I battled those horses until I got him 20 MP upgrades, just to see what he could do with magic :P I think, if you did this, it would make people have to really think about which characters should have which skills, and also even which characters are best for the party.

I would say, though, that even though the story, for me, was a little disappointing (I was an English major, what can I say XD), the battle system, the ability to avoid certain monsters--at least until you had leveled up a bit-- and the skill pill option really made this an enjoyable game!
synthesis
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 am

Wow thanks for the review synthesis. It was really insightful and I'd keep the points you mentioned in my mind when we are making our next game. :)
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nevjul » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:50 pm

OK, I am really surprised no one else mentioned this yet. The battles are way too long! It took me over 1/2 an hour to defeat the underground guy. I have played most of the big RPGs and these are ,by far, the longest battles I have come across. I get sooooo annoyed by the number of times the Bosses can evade attacks. And, when someone is healed or the monster attacks the whole party, the status for each player to show up can be long too. A lot of RPGs have an option to speed up fights and I love this feature.

I really like everything else about this game and want to finish it but I have almost quit a few times when I have to fight a boss. I love the puzzles, the characters, the ability to use runes to travel, being able to save anytime and all the side quests available. Basically, everything but the fights! I really hope your next game will shorten the boss battles!
nevjul
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:34 am

Hey nevjul, thanks for your feedback. Yeah the battles are intentionally made longer as some players like it long. Which is why you have the option to skip battles. :)
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby :D :D :D :D :D » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am

I replayed it for the second time and it was as good as the first (which was amazing) I feel that everything I love has already been said so I hope it would be ok if I could just say somethings.
1. Most of the music was great (love the world map) but i was really dissapoianted with the battle music. Battles are a huge part of an RPG but the music was rtp. I'm not saying its bad im just saying that theres so many great songs in the game it would be nice to have a costum song for battle.
2. I love the skill pill system! You have to plan in advance and its really innovative and cool. THis is not really a criticism but I think it would be cool if you had like ultimate skill pills for cahracters. You could go throgh trials or something to get it.
3. Some bigger maps would be nice but its not really a problem that maps are still very nice.
4. I feel like the ending was completed, but it could have been for fleshed out ie if you got the loyola and pascale or the mauren and nandi ending you could say waht happened after
5. make the game longer please!!! :P
:D :D :D :D :D
Nimbostratus Cloud
Nimbostratus Cloud

Postby over_cloud9 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks for your feedback :D:D:D:D ! Next time time when I make another game, I'll make sure than I keep the deadline a bit longer so that I can add more to it and fine tune the little stuff like adding a different battle music, the maps in general, etc. As far as the story is concerned, I deliberately kept it short for that power punch, or else it might have become monotonous or stretched/boring. I want to keep the aftermath of the character's union thinggy in it's sequel. XD
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby :D :D :D :D :D » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah I get it completely. That all makes sense
:D :D :D :D :D
Nimbostratus Cloud
Nimbostratus Cloud

Postby frostentity » Sat May 21, 2011 8:49 am

The monsters evasion rates don't make sense... I can't even get a single hit on those freakin' turtles. lol. You should really work on balancing the battles. The bosses were easy food even though they have insane evasion rates.The plot is quite ok. The gameplay is in no means linear, but still very frustrating. It's easy to get lost and the quest log doesn't help that much. I really wanted to finish the story asap, instead I'm stuck doing a lot of repetitive and tedious side-quests. Although, I must say, this is a really good first attempt, overcloud9. I see a lot of potential, and I hope your next projects would be better than this and much more enjoyable.

Cheers!

-Frostentity
frostentity
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:37 am

frostentity wrote:The monsters evasion rates don't make sense... I can't even get a single hit on those freakin' turtles. lol. You should really work on balancing the battles. The bosses were easy food even though they have insane evasion rates.The plot is quite ok. The gameplay is in no means linear, but still very frustrating. It's easy to get lost and the quest log doesn't help that much. I really wanted to finish the story asap, instead I'm stuck doing a lot of repetitive and tedious side-quests. Although, I must say, this is a really good first attempt, overcloud9. I see a lot of potential, and I hope your next projects would be better than this and much more enjoyable.

Cheers!

-Frostentity

I kept the battles easy because I wanted the game for casual gamers mainly. But later I thought I could have made it a bit more harder. I prefer non linear game play and player gets a lot of freedom to roam around if they don't want to pursue the main story and end the game. You don't need to finish side quests etc to progress in the main story, in fact none of the side quests are a must for the main story.

My upcoming project is not an RPG coz I wanted to try something outside RPGmaker.
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby frostentity » Sat May 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Not an rpg? I see. It should be nice, sadly, I won't be playing it since I'm all-out RPG when it comes to games. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your project will be successful. ;)

Concerning Arevan, I know it's not necessary to complete the side-quests, but that's all I can do really since I'm lost as hell. lol. I think I only have 3 Characters at the moment. I'm stuck at the part where the king of... I forgot... won't speak with me unless I have an appointment. I have searched the town thoroughly but I can't seem to find the guy I need to speak to, in order to have an appointment with the king. I even have the whale already...

Again, good luck with your upcoming project. :tu:

My Thanks,
Frostentity
frostentity
Vapour
Vapour

PreviousNext

Return to Game Help, Hints, Maps, Walkthrough and Bug-fixed patches