Arevan Reviews

Stuck in the game? Need maps or walkthrough? Want to discuss about the game? Need the latest bug-fixed game patches? This is the place where you do it. Please post all questions pertaining to Arevan here and not in other forums.

Moderator: over_cloud9

Forum rules
If you are stuck in the game and cannot find a solution, create a new topic stating your problem.

Rate the Game

1 (Horrible)
4%
4%
8%
27%
5 (Wow!)
58%

Total votes : 26

Re: Arevan Reviews

Postby littlebro » Sat May 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for a really great game; I enjoyed playing it immensely.

I appreciated the fact that it was non-linear, giving me the freedom to explore things and develop my team as I liked, though there were enough indications of what needed to be done so that I could take the game forward. Thought the whale and the griffin were excellent, and the whale made a very nice change from the usual biggger boat.

Also liked the skill pills so that I could build my teams to reflect my playing style – though it was a shock when Zubin lost all his skills including all the ones I'd given him. I think, though, that it might be helpful to give a bit more detail with the pill e.g. is this skill for one enemy or all enemies? Several times I had to re-load because when I found out what they were I then needed to re-allocate so as to have a balance across all party members.

I can’t comment about the music because I always play with the speakers off.

While I appreciate a longer battle, I found that the high evasion rate for the enemies got a bit tedious at times. It also made a mockery of having ultimate weapons if they could never hit anything.

I think I must have missed something very obvious, because the game description refers to “unlimited save slots”. How did that work? I only had 4, and I checked in both program files and appdata to see if additional folders were being created, but couldn’t find anything.

As for the mini-games, fine except for the matching heads one. This doesn’t rely on skill (other than an ability to remember where you’ve seen the other head), strategy (beyond eliminating certain heads first to give a clearer run for others) or even patience. Ultimately it comes down to speed of reactions/reflexes, and that is a physiological thing over which one has no control. Because of age, health or a host of other factors, some players will find this one well nigh impossible – I was one. For future games, because a commercial game is aimed at a wider demographic group, could you be a bit more generous in things like time limits, or the speed at which one has to hit the controls?

Story was fine, though I was surprised that Nandini walked out at the end. I’ve not got the strategy guide, but having checked through the forum I think I had done everything – bought the rose, bought the bouquet, spoken to Lubosa, all with Nandini in the active party, so I’m lost on that one.

I suppose the acid test of any review is the answer to the question “would you part with money for another game from this developer?” My answer is a definite yes, and I am looking forward to the next one.
littlebro
Vapour
Vapour

Postby over_cloud9 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 pm

frostentity wrote:Concerning Arevan, I know it's not necessary to complete the side-quests, but that's all I can do really since I'm lost as hell. lol. I think I only have 3 Characters at the moment. I'm stuck at the part where the king of... I forgot... won't speak with me unless I have an appointment. I have searched the town thoroughly but I can't seem to find the guy I need to speak to, in order to have an appointment with the king. I even have the whale already...

If you have Kromon then you can talk to the king at Branian. Check the quest journal to see what you have left out in completing the main quest.

littlebro wrote:Thanks for a really great game; I enjoyed playing it immensely.

I appreciated the fact that it was non-linear, giving me the freedom to explore things and develop my team as I liked, though there were enough indications of what needed to be done so that I could take the game forward. Thought the whale and the griffin were excellent, and the whale made a very nice change from the usual biggger boat.

Also liked the skill pills so that I could build my teams to reflect my playing style – though it was a shock when Zubin lost all his skills including all the ones I'd given him. I think, though, that it might be helpful to give a bit more detail with the pill e.g. is this skill for one enemy or all enemies? Several times I had to re-load because when I found out what they were I then needed to re-allocate so as to have a balance across all party members.

I can’t comment about the music because I always play with the speakers off.

While I appreciate a longer battle, I found that the high evasion rate for the enemies got a bit tedious at times. It also made a mockery of having ultimate weapons if they could never hit anything.

I think I must have missed something very obvious, because the game description refers to “unlimited save slots”. How did that work? I only had 4, and I checked in both program files and appdata to see if additional folders were being created, but couldn’t find anything.

As for the mini-games, fine except for the matching heads one. This doesn’t rely on skill (other than an ability to remember where you’ve seen the other head), strategy (beyond eliminating certain heads first to give a clearer run for others) or even patience. Ultimately it comes down to speed of reactions/reflexes, and that is a physiological thing over which one has no control. Because of age, health or a host of other factors, some players will find this one well nigh impossible – I was one. For future games, because a commercial game is aimed at a wider demographic group, could you be a bit more generous in things like time limits, or the speed at which one has to hit the controls?

Story was fine, though I was surprised that Nandini walked out at the end. I’ve not got the strategy guide, but having checked through the forum I think I had done everything – bought the rose, bought the bouquet, spoken to Lubosa, all with Nandini in the active party, so I’m lost on that one.

I suppose the acid test of any review is the answer to the question “would you part with money for another game from this developer?” My answer is a definite yes, and I am looking forward to the next one.

Thanks a lot for your review littlebro! I really appreciate your detailed feedback. :)

Yeah enemies with very high evasion rates mean they can be only destroyed with magic. The battles are unpredictable so that players are encouraged to try different strategies to fight them instead of using only melee or only magic.

Sorry about the unlimited save slot, that is available only in the non-big fish game's version because BFG has some restrictions on save file location and that was conflicting with the save slot script. So I had to remove multiple save slots for BFG.

The Nandini bug was something that I fixed in the original version of the game,but I don't know why it is still persisting in this version. I re-checked but in my game it was working fine. :dk:

I tried to keep the puzzles varied so that it is not one type of puzzle repeated everywhere. While some were speed oriented, some were time limited, some called for thought and some skill-efficient, etc. Thats why I kept a skip puzzle option. Sorry that you couldn't enjoy that particular puzzle. :sorry:

Thanks again four feedback and everyone else also, it will help me make better games in future. XD
Cheers!
Over_cloud9
over_cloud9
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby frostentity » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 am

Oh thanks. Yeah, I already have Kromon and I didn't go to Branian yet. I think I pressed Alt + f4 when those freakin' turtles wasted me on tumpala. lol. haha. :) I'll be sure to replay it once I'm done with a few RPGs and maybe I can give a better short review.

Cheers!
frostentity
Vapour
Vapour

Previous

Return to Game Help, Hints, Maps, Walkthrough and Bug-fixed patches